CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Altos Del Maria, Panama

Hi All Blog followers!

We rented a car in Panama City and drove here. That was nerve-racking (hard rain, roads washed out, little or no signs to let you know where you are going and many, many potholes, etc),  but we made it safely with nothing damaged but our nerves. The internet saved us as I had found a great blog by a Canadian kid who had the directions we needed all written out along with a  3videos of the way. I watched it twice the night before! I am always amazed at the what the internet produces and how helpful it is to travelers.

We are at about 3,500 ft. in the pine trees/jungle of beautiful Altos Del Maria! It's breathtaking. The roads are steep, steep and steeper, but paved. Thank goodness. The internet is slow, so no uploading pictures today. All is fine. We met a woman today and will probably go hiking with her and her husband this week. She said that we must bring a stick to ward off the vipers. Oh!

Yesterday we ate at a fabulous restaurant. Our spit-fired roasted chicken was $4.00 ---- half a chicken each! It was delicious along with steamed veggies. We did our grocery shopping on a full tummy. The new grocery store in the Coronado Beach area even had Johnson brats from Wisconsin. There is a large expat community here so they cater to them with lots of American products. I stuck with tortillas and beans, eggs, etc. We have been eating a healthy diet and have actually lost weight. We probably need to lose more before we get on that cruise ship for 22 days!
Merry Christmas.
Bob and Mary

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to the amazing castaway Koupus!!
    Bob and Mary, you look fabulous. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your world, our world, from your wonderful perspective.
    BIG HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick with the beans and tortillas...you will get stronger and it will help your espanol.
    We're getting hammered with snow up at the ski area but dry as a bone at our house. Strange weather...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary and Bob,
    I'm Judi in Oregon, Sue's friend from college and the one she went to Vietnam and Cambodia with in Feb. She gave me your blog address and I loved reading it....I'm leaving in less 22 and a half hours for Panama for two weeks. I'll spend Xmas afternoon through the 27th in Panama City, then head to Boca Brava off the coast of Boca Chica. Then up to Boquete for New Year's Eve for a few days, and then, well, I have no plans. If you have suggestions,do let me know. I depart on the 8th Jan, sadly. Maybe we'll cross paths. Love your photos too. If you have any suggestions, you can email me at JudiKO@aol.com. Thanks much! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like you two are learning alot on this trip and don't give up the car...the roads leave much to be desire. But you are having fun and enjoy reading your blog. Busy day tomorrow with all the family..big dinner at Deb's and celebrating Christmas birthday...Michael and he will be 28.
    Skied Mont Ripley today with cousin and nephew..snow condition was good and next week will ski at Bohemia! from the three J's

    ReplyDelete