CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kaikoura... New Zealand, South Island







Kaikoura is a small seaside town. It's on a peninsula, located on the east coast of the South Island on the South Pacific Ocean.

In 1998, I took a 6 month leave of absence from teaching to pursue part of my "bucket list." I spent 2 weeks in Kaikoura as a volunteer for Earthwatch (www.earthwatch.org). Everyday for 2 weeks, I either went out in the ocean on a Zodiac to help with scientific studies of the dusky dolphin or hiked up a big hill carrying computers and batteries--- the communication tools we used to "talk" to the boat. It was one of the most rewarding trips I've ever been on.

Well, here I am for the 3rd. time visiting this lovely village. (Bob and I also came here for a few days in 1998.) Nothing much has changed in Kaikoura; a few new hotels and a bigger grocery store have been built, but otherwise it looks the same to me. I have fond memories of Kaikoura and it doesn't disappoint on this visit. It's typical small town New Zealand--- easy on the eyes, has friendly people, great food (mussels!) and offers lots of interesting options for fun.

That last time Bob and I were here, his memorable experience was a chance to swim with the dusky dolphins. The are curious creatures who do "want" to swim with you! He loved being with them in the ocean.

One of my fondest memories is when I was out on the Zodiac. I was in charge of getting a DNA sample from a dusky. With the boat going at full throttle, I was hanging off the front bow of the Zodiac while holding on with one hand and holding a homemade DNA sampler(kind of a small plunger-type instrument) with my other hand. As we got into a group of dusky dolphins, I leaned over as far as I could without falling off. One dusky came right up close to me, turned its head and stared straight into my eyes! I gulped and gently tapped it on the side with the DNA sampler and it zoomed off! I'll never forget that eye contact.

So why do an amazing array of marine animals like the dusky dolphin and mighty sperm whale make the waters of Kaikoura their home?
... because the waters of Kaikoura are a world famous feed ground! Deep underwater trenches and canyons offer nutrient rich waters that attract them.

In Dec. of 1964, New Zealand's last whaling station closed. The Sperm Whales that live here year round have made a nice recovery. Other cetacean visitors to Kaikoura are the Blue Whale, Pilot and Minke, also Beaked, Brydes, Fin, Humpback, Sie, Southern Right Whales and Orcas.

Travel does give you an opportunity to learn more about your world.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Mar - I'm dreaming about the whales as I look at your pics! I see you're wearing "Helen's" hat and "our" top. Is it cool there? You and Julie look pretty happy. Hi to all.

    ReplyDelete