CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, February 13, 2011

More of Salta, Argentina


Today, Sunday, we visited the Basilica Cathedral on the main square. It’s a remarkable building, built in 1858 with an altar made of gold. Although mass was being said, people were walking around the church taking pictures. We marveled at the beauty of the church and the people. Salta has many indigenous people. I think that they are beautiful to look at. We sat and listened to the children singing. Outside, I captured a picture of an older couple sitting by an arbor listening to the mass outside in the beauty of the church garden.

After a lunch of carne empanadas (love them), we went to the MAAM museum--- the High Mountain Archeology Museum. The exhibits were all about the Inca rituals of sacrifice in the high (over 17,000 feet) mountains in the nearby Andes, not far from here. Years ago I read “The Ice Maiden: Inca Mummies” by Johan Reinhard and was amazed by the discoveries of these sacrificial ice graves in 1999 that were filled with artifacts from so long ago. Everything was preserved due to the high altitude, the ice and the aridness of the area.  I also saw a NOVA show all about the excavations and recovery of the bodies and artifacts.

The museum was terrific. Due to the sensitive nature of the exhibit, no photos were allowed. Also, before you entered the part where the mummies were on display, they had a smoky glass wall with a sign saying what to expect and that if you were sensitive to the fact that these were real bodies, you may want to leave via the door before seeing them.

It’s hard to believe that after reading about something so fascinating, I was now seeing it in Salta, Argentina! I marvel at these experiences.

After that, we walked and walked. All the shops were closed due to it being Sunday, but the gondola up to Cerro San Bernando to get a birds-eye view of the city and its surroundings was open. That was great fun. By then we were really tired out and walked back to the hotel. A bit later we went out for an early dinner and found  that the main restaurant street was closed to traffic and a cultural market was set up. We walked around there for awhile more and then ate dinner.

We really had a beautiful day in a beautiful city. Tomorrow we’re going to an Estancia outside of the city for 3 nights/days. We’ll be without the Internet for several days so I won’t be able to blog until we get to Cafayate, Argentina on Feb. 17th.-18th. 
Gold!






Gondola tickets here!

Dad was taking pics of his family with phone. I asked if he wanted us to take a family picture for him. They all got together and were so happy that "I" wanted to take their picture. So I did with my camera. It was really cute how they were excited that "I" wanted to get their pic. Misunderstandings also seem to turn into a fun time!

Then, he gave me his phone and I got one for them. When he started to take one of us, the three girls joined us. They invited us to share their giant bowl of carne and grilled peppers. We had just eaten empanadas, otherwise we would have... it looked delicious. Sweet family.


Tourista!

Salta from up above.

Touristas riding on the gondola!

Sleeping on the job.

Recycling.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful area...love the photo of the older couple. Headed home to CO after our AZ adventure. Fun exploring a new area of AZ plus the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your city photos, Mar - they really show it's character. The old couple sitting in the garden for Mass had the right idea!

    ReplyDelete