CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, March 8, 2009

las latas metalica basuras del Mendoza














































I'm hoping the title says metal garbage cans!

We've walked and walked the streets of Mendoza every day and night. It's such a beautiful city; very easy to get around. We've enjoyed seeing the city by foot. While we've been out and about, I started noticing these bonita, enorme, diminuta, gordo, corta, alta, poca, blanco, negro, rojo metal basket-like things in front of houses, hotels, apartments and shops. I realized that they were garbage holders. No wonder this city is so clean! Instead of each household putting their garbage out in large cans that need to be brought back in after pick-up, these are permanent structures sitting near the curb and close to the beautiful sycamore trees that line all of the streets. During the day they mostly sit empty. At night, the locals put their garbage bags in them. Each and every morning, the garbage trucks come by and men pick up the bags from these interesting containers. Some are very tiny, some new, some small, some large, some locked, some lopsided, some vintage, but all add to the charm of the city.
Gozar de photos of garbage cans in Mendoza,
Mary

2 comments:

  1. I think you have one misspelled Spanish word in your title - just kidding. Loved all the unique recepticles. Very creative photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These receptacles for "basura" are works of art. What a great idea to capture them on film...and your Spanish is colorful and continues to improve. Adelante!!!!

    ReplyDelete