Jose Ignacio is a very tiny pristine place on the Atlantic Ocean in Uruguay. If you continued 2 hours north of there, you'd be in Brazil. (However, you'd have to pay a visa fee of $150.00, so we decided not to go over the border.) Jose Ignacio is probably the size of Eagle Harbor, MI, but with a few more restaurants and a small grocery and hardware store. The lighthouse is the focal point, surrounded by a drop-dead gorgeous beach.
We had a marvelous lunch with a fabulous view of the ocean and sand dunes from our outdoor table. The weather was perfect. Bob and Beth had a steak that they cut with a butter knife! (Dr. Mercola is so right about grass-fed beef; not only is it good for you, but the taste is extraordinary; it's very very juicy and there is very little fat. mercola.com). I had spicy-hot penne shrimp. Homemade rolls were served before the lunch.
Our waiter Pablo, (pictured) has lived all over the world. He's a diving instructor as well as a waiter. His English was perfect (he's lived in the U.S.) and we had a great time talking to him about all sorts of subjects. He's interested in moving to Indonesia to teach diving.
The Uruguayan chef came out to ask if I would like my pasta spicy. Amen! I haven't had anything spicy for 2 months. Neither the Argentines or Uruguayans use many spices. Even pepper is not found on the table at a restaurant. They have it, but you have to ask for it. I told the chef that I was craving something really spicy and that I love hot, hot sauces--- 911! He made it perfectly. My penne shrimp put my mouth on fire and made my hot flashes boiling. I was in heaven!
We made it back to Piriaplois in time for the sunset. After that wonderful lunch, we decided that we didn't need to have dinner.
Never stop exploring,
Mary and Bob
No comments:
Post a Comment