CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ohinemutu... Maori Village, Rotorua, New Zealand







Yesterday, while Bob and Julie were mountain biking and Art was attending to appointments, I walked the town and found myself at a Moari Village. A local told me all about the town/church/burials/land, etc. It was fascinating. They have to bury their dead above ground due to the geothermal activity. He's a gardener and told me that once he shoveled into the grounds by the church to do some planting and hit steamy soil less than a foot down! The village is right by the lake, so I took some pics of local birds. Sorry, I don't know what they are, except for the black swan.

We're off to some small coastal villages for the next few days in our Ford rental, so I doubt I'll find wifi.

2 comments:

  1. Mar - I'm so jealous that you managed to get a pic of the black swans. They were never that close to shore when we were there. My Bob rode bike today - he's now asleep on the Lazy Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Mar,
    I'm off...hope to catch up with your adventures along the way!
    The boys (Roger and Creede) are home alone. Keep enjoying...

    ReplyDelete