We have been transiting the Drake Passage en route to Half Moon Island and Deception Island off the Antarctic Peninsular. We sailed through the Roaring Forties, a name given, especially by sailors, to the latitudes between 40 and 50 degrees. They are called the Roaring Forties because of the boisterous and prevailing westerly winds. Because there is less landmass to slow them down, the winds are especially strong in the Southern Hemisphere, notably in the South Indian Ocean, or what is now known as the Southern Ocean in geographic circles. This is where have been sailing for the last two days.
Bob and I have been gaining a great deal of knowledge about oceans on this awesome ocean journey we are on. Since we left Punta del Este, Uruguay, Dr. Don Walsh, a renowned oceanographer, has been on board giving lectures. He is a wonderful speaker and we go to every lecture to learn more about the world’s oceans, including the ones we have been sailing on these past thirteen days.
It was a wild and crazy ride through the Roaring Forties. I was a bit queasy, but luckily, not sick. Bob has felt nothing. As long as I don’t eat meals next to a window, I’m fine. The minute I look out at the rolling waves, I’m not good. So I always face the other way when the sea is rolling wild.
We have been experiencing an extraordinary journey through the Drake Passage. Just seeing the incredible views of the Shetland Islands has made me yearn to come back on a National Geographic voyage to Antarctica. Dr. Walsh once circumnavigated around the whole of Antarctica on a Russian icebreaker. It took 63 days! Our ship has stabilizers, so we don’t rock and roll too much. I can’t imagine what it would be like on an icebreaker. Yikes! I’ve also been doing a lot of thinking about the young Australian girl who sailed around the world last year all by herself. She came through these waters alone in a small boat. This place humbles you.
It was a cold thirty six degrees this morning at eight. I bundled up and got some good shots with my little Canon. Can you see the penguins on the iceberg?
The internet keeps going off, so I'll try to upload a few pictures, but ya never know.
| Our crew even came out in the the cold to serve us! |
More when we get back to land in 2 days!
Sailor Bob is sea worthy! I like that you're OK if you don't look outside at the waves. Just reading your account made me a little queasy. You guys are really bundled up! Stay safe. Skied with Frank today - he fell, and I was worried I'd have to call the patrol. Luckily, he made it down the Mt, and he's not hurt!
ReplyDeleteHi guys - can't wait to join you on upcoming National Geographic voyage to Antarctica - after all "voyage" is a French word, right ? How about soon ?
ReplyDeleteThe young Australian girl was Jessica Watson at age 16 - totally incredible.
Can't wait to hoist sail in 2 weeks !