CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blogging While the Blogging is Good... Briagolong, Australia





I've been blogging "up a storm" today. Please look "down under" in the blog for today's posts. It has been quite difficult to upload pictures on the blog due to the slow speed of most internet services in Australia. I have the fastest internet service in this little town of Briagolong. Many thanks to Bernadine, the new owner of the local bookstore/internet/wifi store who has been most gracious and helpful. She is out of town right now, but she's left the wifi on. I'm across the street at the Briag cafe blogging in the "aircon", as they call it in Aussie language. Today is going to be a scorcher--- heat wise. It will be over 100 degrees. (The Australians obviously speak English, but they certainly have lots and lots of shortened ways of speaking.) We're learning new words each day. Aircon is short for... you guessed it, the air conditioner! The "eskie" is the cooler... think Eskimo!

The pictures are of the quaint stores of Briagolong---- The Bookstore, Bernadine in my favorite section of her store, and the small gift store and cafe across the street. This is a great town. It's the kind of place where you would want your children to grow up. It reminds me of Greenwood, Illinois where Bob and I lived before we moved to Australia. It's very rural, lots of trees, kids ride their bikes to school, folks are friendly, everyone knows everyone and neighbors help neighbors.

2 comments:

  1. So where's the map ? You found one for Uruguay - what about an Aussie map with New Zealand (in due time). I found the Bass Straights but have been looking for Brigolong to no avail !
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you would find a wonderful bookstore and make friends with the owner! I assume the cafe is where you called me from last night. It sounded like a happening place!

    ReplyDelete