CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Botanic Gardens... Christchurch, New Zealand











Christchurch is home to a majestic Botanic Garden and many parks. It's known as the Garden City.

This pine tree at the gardens "drew" me to it. As I walked around it, I saw the cave-like entrance. Upon entering, I was blown away by the tree roots and trunk. I have no idea what kind of tree it is. Every tree in the garden was marked with a sign except that one!

On my walk back from the Botanical Gardens, I noticed the sculpture of the girl reading the book with the words coming out of the book all jumbled. I was stunned by the whole display of sculptures and interactive displays. I spent time reading everything and sitting on the discovery chairs listening to a dyslexic person explaining what a dyslexic "sees" when he/she attempts to read. All of this was outside of a house on a side street. It was so curiously beautiful and left me in wonderment. Who was this creative dyslexic person?

Although it didn't state it, I got the feeling that the sculptor was dyslexic and this special place was his/her way of telling us a dyslexic's story.

An Asian man with a great big camera/lens started taking pictures while I was there. He didn't read anything, so I asked him if he understood what the sculptures/story was all about. He shook his head "no." I explained it to him the best I could since he spoke very little English.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to you, your Asian man may take back an actual memory, instead of a simple picture - good girl !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Christchurch is so beautiful - you've captured it well. Amazing Monarch photo!

    ReplyDelete