CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Views from Mt. Iron and Mount Roy... Wanaka, NZ












The other day,when Bob went golfing at the Wanaka Golf Course, I hiked Mt. Iron (rated moderate). It was also my first day to drive on the left side of the road. And yes, on my first turn, I immediately put on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal--- more about why that happens in another blog. Other than that, I made it safely to the Mt. Iron Track parking lot and enjoyed a nice hourlong hike up and down and around the mountain loop tramp. It was a gradual climb through grasslands and woodland to the summit. I enjoyed the 360 degree views of Wanaka basin and Lake Wanaka.

The next day, Bob and I hiked Mt. Iron and then did some grocery shopping. We had a nice dinner at home while enjoying the views off of our patio. That evening, a full moon came up over the mountains across from our apt. The sky was filled with stars.

The following day, Bob joined the golfers at the Wanaka Golf Club for a Mens Day outing. I dropped him off and drove about 10km along the lake and found the Mt. Roy Track (rated moderate to hard) parking lot. The majority of this mountain hike is on a sheep station (HUGE farmland with sheep and sometimes cattle). You have to walk up and over little stairs where the fences meet and keep the sheep in/out. During lambing season (Oct. 1st- Nov. 10th) the track is closed to trampers. This steady steep climbing track was fun. The rewards were a panoramic view at the top, sheep on the track, stunning views of most of Lake Wanaka and surrounding region AND, an awe-inspiring view of Mount Aspiring!

I met a few people along the way, chatted with some Americans from Seattle for a bit and hoofed it to the top and back down in about 4 and a half hours.

I got back to the golf course just as Bob was came off the 18th hole. we headed to the 19th hole and had a Speights brewski. The men welcomed me and were happy to hear about my hike. Many of them are keen hikers and knew the route well.

1 comment:

  1. The track going off into the view is spectacular! The area you're staying in s just perfect for your and Bob's enjoyment. Wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete