We love our little vrbo apartment in Old Town Quito. It's perfect with a small kitchen/living area decorated with photos by our owner Maria. She's a writer/photographer. She took us on a tour of Old Town this morning because her husband is ill. They got in at 3am this morning from their trip to Michigan. Bless her heart for taking us.
We love Old Town. The architecture, culture and the amazing people out and about in the streets and squares make us wide-eyed again! The Centro Historico district is full of XVI and XVII century churches and historical architecture. We took walks through colonial city neighborhoods that are a feast to the eyes. We visited the Presidential Palace, the baroque style Church of the Society of Jesus (it took 160 years to complete), the Iglesia de San Franciso (100 years to build), the Plaza de la Independencia, and saw the Virgin Monument situated on the breadroll-like hillside above Old Town with the beautiful clouds surrounding it and then we had lunch at a famous old hotel. I had cheviches (one of my favorite SA food), Bob had traditional potato soup with fresh onion&avocado and Maria had traditional Ecuadorian chicken soup.
The Ecuadorians also burn effigies for the new year. They also wear masks and dress up in costume.
Everywhere you walk, women are knitting; women on benches talking, women working in shops, women sitting on streets selling goods--- all knitting! I saw at least 7 yarn shops just today.
The streets are alive with sellers of all ages and goods of all different sorts. Yellow undies and grapes are needed to bring in the New Year. It's a tradition. The people are busy shopping, selling, greeting each other merrily. Buskers sing, play guitar or accordion and young and old try to sell you something. Three young boys about age 8-9 wanted to shine our tennis shoes! It's a lively fun scene in Old Town. Our morning flew by and after lunch, we bid Maria adios and walked a bit in a colonial section where we saw these wonderful wooden doors and knobs.
Enjoy the photos. It is so easy to capture the beauty of old town. Tomorrow we are going out on our own to visit 2 museums and find another place to have a good lunch. We eat breakfast and a late lunch with no dinner.
I feel as though I toured Old Town with you and Bob. I love the antique door knobs - esp. the hand one. The stone work on the massive buildings is exquisite. Looks like you are having fine weather. I see people are bundled into jackets and shawls there at altitude. I'm going to the Zoo Lights with the kids tonight and then out to dinner. Stay well.
ReplyDelete