 |
| A wee bit nervous, but anxious to go! |
The day before yesterday, Peter (our landlord and friend) popped in the flat and asked me if I would like to go flying in the Tiger Moth in the morning. The weather looked very promising, albeit cold for the suggested 8:00am skyward journey. He said that I should plan on wearing warm clothing and take gloves. The old-style leather jacket, helmet, goggles and silk scarf would be provided.
 |
| Looking the part. Vintage... just like me! |
 |
| It's going to be a glorious day for a Tiger Moth ride. |
Ever since Bob experienced flying in the TigerMoth two years, I’ve wanted to do it. It scared me to think about it, but I still wanted to go. For the last two months, I’ve seen Peter flying the TigerMoth over Lake Wanaka while I was biking, flying above the Clutha River while I was hiking and flying over the house while I was outside reading or hanging clothes at the flat. I’d always look upward and hope that someday I’d get a chance to fly in a rare aircraft that was unique to aviation history.
 |
| I'm ready. Peter gets the plane gassed up. |
 |
| I'm going to concentrate on not touching the instruments once I'm strapped in the seat. |
 |
| Is it too late to use the restroom before take-off? |
However, one day I saw Peter doing aerobatic maneuvers over Lake Wanaka. I rethought my intentions and wondered if I could do it. I’m prone to stomach flip-flops on roller coasters, ferris wheels and anything that swings and rolls. Peter’s company, Classic Flights calls this aerobatic flight “The Ultimate Barnstormer.” It is not for the fainthearted. No thanks.
But Peter assured me that he wouldn’t do any aerobatics. Amen. I’m going.
I’ll let my photos do the rest of the talking.
 |
| Checking our instruments. Well, I'm checking my camera! It does seem odd to be in the front with the pilot in the back. |
 |
| Yippie, we're heading for the runway. |
 |
| The dew is propelled from the grass. |
 |
| Okay, we will not go over 160m.p.h. At the moment, we are not up in the air. |
 |
| Those are my legs/shoes. I will not be touching the instruments. No way. |
 |
| Self-protrait: We are taxiing towards the runway. |
 |
| Looking good for lift-off. |
 |
| Heading straight! |
 |
| That's Mt. Iron up ahead. My favorite workout mountain. To the right is where we live. |
 |
| Up, up and away! |
 |
| Lake Wanaka and Wanaka in the foreground. |
 |
| Part of Wanaka town and Wanaka's Golf Course... Bob's favorite place. |
 |
| Gorgeous Lake Wanaka. |
 |
| Feels as though we are "floating" over the Lake. |
 |
| Oh-happy-day! As Willie Nelson sings... "The wind beneath my wings." |
 |
| The quiet touches you. There is absolutely no sound up here. |
 |
| Loving the view. Loving the glide/ride. |
 |
| We're turning to follow the Clutha River back towards the airport. That's one of my favorite hiking trails down below. |
 |
| I spy the runway at the Wanaka Airport up ahead. However, we will land on the grass. That's what the Tiger Moth does best... land on a pasture, land on a beach or on the grass. I do not want this flight to end. It was magical. |
 |
| Julie will book your flight at www.classicflights.com. |
 |
| This is what is was like "back in the day." |
 |
| Tiger Moth will now join Fernie, Churchill, Glacier, Maple Leaf and Jasper in RioV. |
What a great experience you had flying!! Joan used to do that when she was young!! You two can talk about it when you come up to the UP!! Enjoy your last few days in Wanaka..It won't be long till you get home..Safe travels..Jewels
ReplyDeleteOMG!!!! Can't believe my eyes (or maybe I can!) What an experience and one of a kind photos. Love your description of the flight and that cute Tiger Moth Bear. Neve and Caden here with parents. I'm pooped, but we're all happy. It's a busy week ahead.
ReplyDeleteOK...I'm jealous!! This past fall I flew over our valley but I was enclosed. The pilot flew over our house and Mt. Princeton. I absolutely love your photos! Sign me up for a flight but no aerobatics!!
ReplyDelete