CastawayKuopus…a travel blog

CastawayKuopus…a travel blog
I could not, at my age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life is meant to be lived! Curiosity must be kept alive. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, September 28, 2012

16 Day Beemer (BMW motorcycle) Trip/ July 2012

Welcome to Mary & Bob's Excellent Beemer Trip... July 2012

4,275 miles that included 5 states and 6 provinces from Eagle Harbor, Michigan to Nova Scotia, Canada 

             

Day 1-6: Eagle Harbor, MI to P.E.I. (Prince Edward Island), Canada
6 days of motorcycling on 2 lane highways and byways in the U.S. and Canada


Day 1: July 17 - 299 miles
Eagle Harbor, MI to Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Day 2: July 18 - 285 miles
Sault Ste. Marie, MI to North Bay, Ontario

Day 3: July 19 - 400 miles
North Bay, Ontario to Berthierville, Ontario

Day 4: July 20 - 312 miles
Berthierville, Ontario to Edmundston, New Brunswick

Day 5: July 21 - 318 miles
Edmundston, New Brunswick to Sackville, New Brunswick

Day 6: July 22 -  104 miles
Sackville, New Brunswick to P.E.I. (Crowbush Golf Resort) 

It's a long way to Nova Scotia!

Route: 1 day in the U.S.A. --- east through Upper Michigan to Canada.  5 days in Canada --- crossed the bridge into Canada at Sault Saint Marie. You can watch the ore boats going through the Soo Locks as you ride over the bridge.

Temperatures:  mainly in the mid 70s for the first 6 days, with a slight wind.

Hardest day: Day 3! 400 miles! Long mileage, heavy traffic and big trucks made it difficult.

Nicest Place: Crowbush Golf Resort on Prince Edward Island

Best Beer: Alexander Keith's Pale Ale on tap (only found in Eastern Canada)

Best Coffee and doughnuts: Tim Hortons (reminded us of our days in Fernie)

Best Food: P.E.I. mussels

Best Motorcyle Driver: Bob of course! He's a pro. Handling our fully loaded 1200 RT Beemer (BMW) takes super-duper driving and handling skills. Plus, he has to balance carefully when I decide to stand on the pegs to take pictures and/or do my "on the motorcycle" stretches and exercises!
The beginning of the English/French signage in the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick  and Nova Scotia 

From Oka to Hudson. From Hudson, we drove north and took a bridge back over the river.

Crossing the St. Lawernce by small ferry... Oka to Hudson

They squish the vehicles in and we got the best view!

By taking this ferry, we missed the Montreal highway mayhem!

Luckily, we did not traverse the roads Le Soir! 

A bridge from New Brunswick was one way to get to P.E.I.
"Anne of Green Gables" was written by a P.E.I. author.


It's easy to find your way on P.E.I.



What's there to "crow" about at Crowbush Golf Resort on P.E.I.?
Beautiful fairways

Deep bunkers


A happy golfer!

Views and bunkers that take your breath away

Lovely beaches

Did I mention the views and the happy golfer?

Oh, and more endless, gorgeous views with a sunset on the way!

Hmmm... nice!

Lovely bumps and rolls and a haven for happy golfers!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post! Roger is envious looking at the beautiful golf course. We've had a wonderful summer/fall hiking in the mountains! Keep on blogging...

    ReplyDelete